Sunday, February 12, 2012

dramaturgical sociology

Dramaturgical sociology is a sociological perspective that studies social interactions, emphasizing the ways in which those involved work to create, maintain, dismantle, and present a shared understanding of reality. It takes the name "drama"turgical sociology because it posits that people will present themselves differently depending upon where they are and in front of whom they are. If you are "on-stage" that means that you are in front of the public and for all to see. In this situation you are highly involved in "impression management." You act in ways that you believe will reflect upon yourself in a positive or useful manner. At other times you may be "backstage". This is when you are in the company of other "actors" or people with whom you have regular contact with. Here there is a different level of impression management. You still need to be careful about how you present yourself, but you are a bit more open. Off stage people act with complete abandon. No holes barred. Here is a short video with clear examples.

I have here a short lecture on attribution theory, which is also in this unit.

Please choose a situation that you have in your life and give examples of how you act differently when on-stage, back stage, and off stage. Give clear examples. Also, try to comment on other people's postings.

7 comments:

  1. when i'm on stage with my children,and friends, which are my audience. I act as if everything is fine.Even though my life is a train wheck.However,when i am backstage,i burst out.Offstage,i say to myself,things are not really that bad. I'm still alive,and it feels so good.God is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People need to be on stage.so,they can participate,learn and grow as people.this way they can be aware of their weaknesses.On the other hand,people can be offstage; this way they can understand themselves better.Life wil be more enjoyable if people have recognized that,life is a backstage audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a great post. You note how people use the onstage/offstage to solve social issues, namely learning about themselves and others. I think that life will be more enjoyable when we all realize that the other person's life might be a performance (in a positive manner) and he or she is still learning about him/herself and how to fit in. That way we can be more forgiving of other people's stupid mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever been in a situation when people are asking questions that are so obvious, that they apear dumb? That happens tlo me everyday in my workplace. I work in a public place, where I could be standing in front of the bathroom when somebody come to me and ask where the restroom is. I always tell them when that happens. However, when they leave, I'm always saying to myself:"Can't they read or see?" In this situation, the backstage is the same as the offstage, because either I'm alon or with a coworker, the same questions come up. Sometimes, even the person comes to the backstage with us by saying :"That was a dumb question right?". Sometimes I might just add :"Du-uh". This is my every day theater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could be quiet amusing!
    How do you integrate this idea with the idea of impression management? How does somebody (you or somebody else) alter behavior in order to ensure the impression made on the people around?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mr. Hahn, this is Ms. Hart, I was studying for sociology and I wanted some more notes on this subject and your article popped up.. I can trust this article.. hahahaha See you in class next week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have many Selves. Impression management can be performed by acting in a way that would be socially acceptable and pleasing to your audience. That is of course...if you really want to please and be in good standing with your audience.

    ReplyDelete